Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ryukyu Flying Foxes - - Okinawan Bats


One of the night critters common to Okinawa is the bat, also known as Ryuku Flying Foxes. (They are also known as Zorro Volador de Ryukyu.) And these critters are not the cute little guys we are familiar with in Iowa. Nope. These bats average about 10 inches tall and have wingspans of over 40 inches. They look like overly large birds swooping around - - except that it is nighttime and any self respecting bird is home in his nest. These two bats I photographed at Okinawan Fruits Land a couple of weeks ago.


A few nights ago I mentioned to Ron about the huge birds flying in front of the windows of the living room. They seemed a bit odd to me. I mean, it was night time. What were those birds doing out so late? That's when Ron introduced me, and my imagination, to the Okinawa flying fox.

It is so named because of its fox like facial features. They almost certainly look cute in the photos, but I prefer to keep some distance between us. Like bats most places they eat insects and fruit. Homo sapiens are not on their menu.
















I just didn't like the way this one was looking at me. And yes, I am quite well aware that they are anatomically correct. After all, they are real, and alive.

1 comment:

sheena said...

Oh my gosh- they look so so.. SO BIG! and they fly right in front of your window at night?
I don't like the way that one on the right is looking at the camera, either. He's definitely up to no good. gives me the creeps.
and I always loved the story of that sweet foxy bat Stellaluna in my childrens' book collection... These bats look evil (and I'm actually an animal lover!).