Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lost - but not in Paradise

It got hot here in Okinawa yesterday. 90 degrees. Humid. Huge billowy clouds that offered no rain and no respite from the heat. After enjoying the beach area so much I had decided it was time to head back home. I had a rough idea which direction home was. Now the thing about Okinawa, and other places I am well aware, is that there are no straight roads. No street signs. Not even in Japanese unless it is one of the major roads - like a highway. I first headed into residential areas that seem to meander in circles. Then I got onto this little, maybe 6 foot wide, paved lane. This led into a maze of sugarcane fields. And almost led me to heat stroke!

But the good thing about Okinawa is that you can't go too awfully far without getting to an ocean. You can get lost. And I did. But you will eventually find a landmark, or ocean, to help you get back on track again.

No comments: