Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kokeshi doll

Now I have never been one of those girly-girls playing with dolls as a child. Not on your life. I wanted to ride bikes and build forts and play ball, and read. Barbies were popular when I was of the age to have them. But I had absolutely no use for them.

So, it is rather surprising that this charming little kokeshi doll has entered my collection, small that it is, of 'stuff'. She is all of about 6 inches tall. Kokeshi dolls have been created in Japan for over 200 years. They are made of wood, such as dogwood, and painted with traditional costumes or even landscapes, or images of various kinds. Some artists of these dolls become very famous and their dolls commend high prices throughout the world.

I have not rebounded to childhood, but I do find her rather delightful. She will find a choice spot carefully packed in my suitcase for the trip back to the States.

No comments: