Saturday, June 13, 2009

Catedral in the Making


I was on a Friday 'walkabout' when I decided to check out the progress of the building of the new Cathedral here in La Paz. I knew that some services were already being held here, but, of course, no work was being done during the services. But I was quite surprised to find that even while work is being done, visitors are not restricted from viewing. At their own risk, to be sure. In the States casual 'looky lous' would have been restricted to being kept behind a fence a quarter mile away from the work I was watching. But no one paid me any attention as I wandered all over the cleared sanctuary where an enormous crane was lifting the sections of the dome high over my head. As the sections were being welded in place by the safety belted welders, I was free to watch and photograph even as balls of welding sparks fell silently to my feet. It was my decision to be there and quite understood that I took the risks and responsibilities for my safety totally upon myself.



Individual beams for the dome were probably 10 feet long. I watched as the beam was tied onto the lifting wire. Approximating midway. It was a bit off so a rope was attached at one end to help with balance. Ten feet off the ground and it was obvious that it was still off balance by too much. The beam was lowered and the rope moved a bit. Another moment and it was ascending past the figure of Jesus on the cross.
Before visiting Florence and Rome 3 years ago, I read the incredible stories of Brunelleschi and Michelangelo and their frustrations and triumphs in building the wondrous domes on the Cathedrals of those respective Renaissance cities. I had been overwhelmed by the sites in person. On a smaller scale, in a different century, yet another miracle of dome construction is underway.

No comments: