Monday, November 2, 2009

Catrinas--Live in La Paz


One of the highlights of my visit to Teatro de la Ciudad ( City Theatre ) was the catrinas. The living catrinas.
Actually, I am not at all sure if that is how these ladies are to be referred. But I haven't found another name for them.
To be found in many Mexican stores are skeletal figures which are dressed in fancy clothing, or tradional work clothing, ( I personally have a pirate and his lady dressed in green ), or even animals such as dogs and horses. They are all part of the Dia de Los Muertos and are called 'catrinas'.
For lack of any other more appropriate
term I refer to the living representations of these 'catrinas' as 'catrinas'. It is also possible that 'catrinas' only refers to the females dressed in such a manner.


Sometime after dark probably a dozen or so of these 'catrinas' made their way through the crowds, posing frequently for photos and later a contest for the best 'catrina'.



I never heard them utter a word but the expressions were priceless. I was in danger of becoming a stalker, most likely, in my bid to take as many photos of these creatures as possible.





Such fun, for everyone!!

All to honor the Dead, of course!



No comments: