Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sushi go round


So, last night Ron and I went out with a few of his friends to a 'sushi go round'. All Japanese food of course. The various food items are placed on different colored plates. The color of the plate indicates the value of the course. At the end of the meal the value of the pile of plates is totalled to make your bill.

The plates, the size of dessert plates, generally hold two of the same item. The food, usually rice and some sort of fish, is artistically shaped and draped on the plates. The plates are placed on a conveyor belt that is run in front of the customers at the counter. See one you favor, grab it.

During the meal I sampled shrimp, Yakitori, octopus, and fried arms of squid. All very good. Surprisingly. For dessert we headed to the Dragon Palace which had an ice cream stand with a few flavors most likely not found in your local Baskin Robbins. I decided against the orange sherbert, my first choice, which I could have back in Iowa and instead had two flavors, mango and sweet potato. I knew mango would be good but the sweet potato, purple in color, was a real taste surprise. Very good. But I still doubt I will be able to order it at the Dairy Queen any time soon.

No comments: