Monday, August 18, 2008

Iowa State Fair-Aug 9, 2008

What would summer in Iowa be without the great Iowa State Fair? A summer without butter cows, and Snickers and pineapple, both fried and 'on a stick'. But my last Iowa adventure before leaving the States was indeed the Iowa State Fair. And it always ! lives up to it's reputation as the greatest Fair in the country.

Before leaving for Japan, Ron and I, along with his mom, brother, Ken and his wife, Jill spent the day at the Fair. We saw the largest steer, and we awed over the largest boar, the mighty Frieght Train, weighing in over 1200 pounds. That's a lot of bacon!

We listened to a gospel quartet and joined in at a hymn singing at the old church. We maneuvered our way down the Varied Industries Building, checked out the modular homes on display, watched swans, and ducks and turtles and fish in the Fisheries and Wildlife exhibit.

Lunch was at the incredible Iowa Pork Producers tent. I did vary my request a tad this year. Last time I visited and had an Iowa Chop I ended up performing a self Heimlick maneuver over the back fence when I choked on a bite while trying to eat and talk at the same time. Gracious, I never want to repeat that experience. So I substituted the Iowa Chop with a Barbecued Pulled Pork sandwich which was undoubtedly the best pork sandwich I have ever had!!

My favorite taste treat at this year's Iowa State Fair had to be the already mentioned 'fried pineapple on a stick'!! My mouth is watering with the memory. I intend to start trying to replicate that fabulous flavorful feat soon. I have been advised that the secret coating is funnel cake batter. I think I can handle that.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the highlights of my time at the fair was seeing the Budweiser Clydesdale team. Simply incredible! And I loved the dalmation on the seat with the drivers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And as incredible as it may seem, I didn't buy anything at the Fair that I didn't immediately eat or drink. I can hear the many doubters voicing their disbelief! But if I had bought something, it might well have been the 'designated driver' T-shirt. But getting a photo was just as good.

No comments: